Friday, March 12, 2010

Did they have Bellybuttons?

I am so proud of my munchkins!
We were having a bible lesson the other day and I posed a question from The Answers for Kids book by Ken Ham.
It was:
Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?
My kids looked at me like that was such a stupid question.
"Well?" I asked, "did they?"
My son did his typical "I don't know" flat answer, but you could see the question floating in his head as he was tossing it around. Aimee started babbling while she was figuring this out as well.
Cute to watch them try to really understand something.
I had them read the parts of Genesis that said that God created man in His image.
"So," Michael starts, "then yeah, Adam had a bellybutton."
"Wait and keep reading" I reply.
Adam was made from the dust we read and Eve was made from Adam's rib.
"Now what do you think" I pose again.
Both of them again say " Yeah, they had bellybuttons."
"Alright good listening. Now take it one step further. What is a bellybutton for?"
Aimee looks at me questioningly but answers " to feed the baby in the womb."
"Right!" I answered."You also just told me when you read the bible that Adam was made from dust and Eve from a rib. Were they born of the flesh into this world? Did they need nourishment from their mother's womb? If they were made in God's perfect image are you saying that he was born from a womb? God always was. He has no mother. There is no need for Him to have a bellybutton. Could that be our reminder of the original sin?"
Now they were both totally stumped.
I did tell them that I do not have the answer to this question.
They did not either.

Then Aimee took this question and posted it on her facebook to see what other people thought. We were interested by others responses.
Most people did not think it just a step farther like we had that day.
Once Aimee would question some of her friends like I questioned her, they were stumped too.
Very interesting question huh?

What do you think?


1 comment:

Lisa Anne said...

You really know how to get a person thinking. I would think they did have belly buttons. I don't know for sure.