Monday, August 11, 2008

I hate red dye

I have been really reading what is on the labels of the food that we eat because of Michael Jr and the red dye not getting along. I have really seen such an incredible change in him, for the good. It is amazing how much is added to our food just to make it more colorful so that it is more appetizing. Maybe that is why our country is so fat? Back to the red dye, last night we went out to dinner and it was really nice. Michael Jr and I ordered the strawberry lemonades. They were delicious. I buy it from Fresh and Easy often. Theirs has no red dyes. The restaurants did. I completely forgot about the dyes in the industrial drinks until we were paying and my husband pointed out "hey how do they color that lemonade?" Crud. I blew it. He had 1 1/2 glasses of that stuff. I thought maybe that little bit would not make that big of a difference since he had not had any from home in a long time. Let me be the first to let you know, it does.

Probably an hour later we were at home and the kids were outside playing in the wading pool when Michael Jr gets all ticked off because his sister is flicking the water out of the pool as she is jumping. He is super mad about this too. What a stupid thing to be upset about right? Not when you have red dye in you. He was furious. Finally Michael Sr saw first hand and admitted that red dye and our son just do not get along. We knew he was not tired and had it been earlier in the day he would have just got the hose and put more water in the pool. I calmed him down but he was still really angry. I made him drink a bunch of water to try and flush out his system. This morning he woke up just fine. No silly angry outbursts or anything. Just typical brother picking on sister stuff, you know the "I'm not touching you" type with the finger just about to touch your nose or what ever. Thank God he is back. I really hate that red dye.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

SCARY! I hope you share all this info with the doc who really needs to know what you have discovered!

Is any of your research pointing to parts of the Feingold diet? I'd be fascinated to know!

Aimie said...

Yes I have incorporated some of that diet plan into my munchkins meal plans. There is a ton of information there and it seems to be fairly true, at least for our family. Healthy living is really good if your allergic to red dyes or not. :)