I am constantly cleaning up stuff with 4 munchkins. I guess that is just what moms with multiple kids do. I am always looking for things to purge. The kids outgrow clothes and toys all the time. One month they want to be rock stars and play the guitar and the next they give up the guitar and want to be astronomers so they need a telescope. So off to the Goodwill I go with the $80 guitar that they will turn around and sell for $35 all because that is not the path the munchkin has decided to travel. I just can't toss it in the trash, so I at least am glad that someone else will use the item and it will keep the resale company going, giving those with less than I a chance to afford what we didn't need and helping the company to afford to be employing those that others might not. All around a better deal than throwing it in the trash.
Here is my dilemma. I had tons of baby things that Belle had outgrown. I don't just mean clothes but the baby walker, rattle mats, infant bedding, you know that stuff. Any who the Goodwill does not take that stuff anymore. It does not matter how good of shape it is in. Honestly, how long does a baby use her toys? How dirty could they possibly be? The guy there said that they can't sell that stuff. No one looks for inexpensive baby stuff, they all want new he said.That is very cute and all but what is wrong with the gently used? Most of, no ALL of Belle's stuff was used before. They were all borrowed, bought or given. I really only bought a few things, her baptism gown, a few outfits and g diapers. Is it me? Am I just that practical that I think a bit of elbow grease to clean up something used is OK? Why do babies need all new things? Why do they have to be the baby on the block with the newest highchair? Don't they all work the same? Didn't people used to pass that stuff down for generations with pride? What has happened to us?
All that stuff that no one reuses just fills the trash dumps. That really sickens me. I did not dump my stuff in the trash. I took it to our church for the fall rummage sale. Hopefully someone will buy what I have left and then "recycle" them to another family as well. Let's think about what we buy and use and share what we can when we are through with them. It is the right and responsible thing to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
























No comments:
Post a Comment