Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Went to another zoo

 Took the kiddos to another zoo.

Went with some of out friends and it was nice.

The top picture is really bright but I posted it anyway. We had actually seen something I had never seen before. When we pulled up and parked we noticed zoo keepers walking around with nets.  Not one or two zoo keepers, like 30! There were keepers in trucks, electric carts, on foot, just everywhere!!! I am so not exaggerating!

Anyway, told the kids to stay in the van since I was not sure what they were looking for.

You know an animal would have to escape from the zoo when I went there right???

Yeppers!!

Anyway, we saw all the zoo keepers start circling around one spot and closing in on something.

Hmmm?? A fox maybe?? No the nets were bigger than that.

A snake maybe??  A gazelle?  A warthog?

Whoosh! A flurry of giant nets went sailing to cover something! The keepers all rushed in to the center spot.

What was it??

Oh my...it was a big and ugly brown pelican.

Didn't I just stop having nightmares about that pterodactyl size one at the San Diego Zoo?? Great.

One of the passing security guys told us that they had just clipped its wings but apparently not enough. Problem solved. I asked if they were going to clip any other birds today. He laughed and said "not after this one!"

So we all got out and went in the zoo after the pelican.

Can't be to safe after that one man a few weeks ago let all his wild life rescues loose.

Never know if he started something...

So anyway... here are the kiddos learning about armadillos.
I was surprised how tiny this one was.
 Saw a meercat.

Camera faded then. That is okay though. We covered the entire zoo in just a few hours. It was really sad to see after going to the wild animal park. There the animals had room and seemed content. Here the animals all just had small spaces and looked miserable. I felt mean just being there. Like I was forcing them to stay in their bedroom. What a sad existence.

We had a nice time with our friends though.

Great chit chats and such.

Think we are done with our zoo trips for quite a while though.

No comments: