Saturday, February 21, 2009

High School next year?



I am sorry that I have not been writing very much since the end of the baby shower. My husband and I have just really been considering the Independent studies for my oldest who will be in High School next year. Yes I am very pro home school.
I think it started in the back of my brain when I was in college and I was a child development major who was putting my focus on teaching elementary school. I was sent to a school to do "student teaching" in a fourth grade class. I went in there determined to make a difference. I did not want to teach the same way that I had been taught, one generic method for all. I went in lesson plans and all ready to make a difference and was shot down by the politics. I was teaching kids math with hands on methods not just their books and was reprimanded because my way was not in the state mandated curriculum. I was to follow the teacher's manual word for word, action for action and not stray. So why did I go to college? The next day I wanted to take the kids outside to learn. Again, not in the states plan. Just read the text book out loud. You can use inflection in your voice if you like. Oh joy.
This did not go over well with me.
I just spent how many hours in school myself learning how to teach children to be told that you read from the book to the children you don't teach. We don't have time to teach each child so you generalize teach. In other words, read and hope they catch on. If they don't? Oh well too bad.
Until they get so far behind that they need to have Special Ed help them or they can go to ESL and thrive but regular kids. We have nothing. This is just glorified, state run daycare.
This was when I decided not to become a teacher.

This may have just been the school that I had the luck to be assigned to. I have found wonderful public school teachers that my children have had the privilege to be students of. I have also found those that just wanted to have a job with summers off. I have been very fortunate with my eldest to have friendships formed with some of her educators where they have shared their hardships from the other end of the parents just not caring how or what the child does. That would be the teachers problem from 7-3 and they were not going to help deal with the situation that arose. Again back to the feeling of State run daycare.

So why have any of my children in this enviornment if this is how I feel?
Good question.
I guess I have always just tried to go with the norm. I figured that I could help my munchkins when they got home from school with what they did not have time to really get while they were at school. They would at least be around other kids and get socialization. Now I am finding that I am spending my whole evening reteaching what they should have learned the 7 hours they were away from me to begin with. And how do you socialize with others outside of your 3 recesses when you have so much to learn after school? I guess I am just frusterated because I know my children deserve better. They are all smart and wonderful. I want to nuture that in them. I don't think that they are getting that away from me though. I know their teachers care but they have no help, no money and too many kids to take care of
.

I seriously do appreciate the teachers. Do not miss understand me, it is the state cirriculum that I don't appreciate. I don't believe that all children should be run through the same system. They are all unique and learn in different ways. I just feel that if the teachers had fewer students to worry about, more funding for supplies and adventures, and more support from parents and the state maybe I would not be considering taking my eldest out of the basic educational system to give her a better education. (Yes I do realize that was a run on sentance. I just couldn't put it in a better form today.)

I just want the best for my munchkin much like others do for their own.
I know we will do the right thing for her.
We will.


No comments: