What is so funny, in that weird kinda way, is that my great grandmother Amy knew that I was going to have a girl. Yes the older generation has their ways of knowing these things sometimes and that is really amazing. My story was just a bit different. I was sixteen and no love of my life was even remotely in sight. She was always a "go get um" type of lady. She was feisty and full of hootspa. I figured that God himself was going to have to come down and physically push her through the pearly gates because she was just to busy with life to stop and pass on gracefully. Well she ended up darn near that. She was given a medication that did not agree with her body (mainly I believe because it was just her time) and while recovering from her reaction her beloved came from heaven and carried her over, much like when he carried her over the threshold on their wedding night. Before she took this incredible journey I did have a chance to see her. She asked me quietly if I would name my first born after her. Oh dear Lord! Of coarse I would! How could you not promise something so simple? Besides I was sixteen. Having a baby was so far from what was planned for me. So I simply said yes.
Now almost 10 years later I was pregnant. I am talking only maybe 2 weeks pregnant, I had the most vivid dream reminding me of that last moment with my great grandmother. I swear it was like she was actually there talking to me. I woke from the dream knowing that I was pregnant and that this would be a girl. I was so calm and happy. Unless you have felt that way before it is so hard to describe. You feel such comfort in the knowing. I was just...indescribable, but it was good. I did go and get 4 pregnancy test that day, all of which turned out positive. I knew that my "Aimee" would be in my arms in no time.
The story gets better. I went to the doctor for confirmation and to start the pre-natal care. I was then told by more than one doctor that I should abort this child because I had been in an accident only a few months before and that my back could not take the strain. I had two disks that were on the verge of popping badly, not to mention all the others that were just plain jacked up. This pregnancy could damage my back so as I might never walk again. The pain that I felt every day would never go away and a pregnancy would only make it excruciating. I was then told that I should never have children, or do anything that I might fall on my back and then never be able to do for myself again. The calm from my great grandmother came back and enveloped my entire being. I felt like she was there in the examination room with her arms around me giving me peace. I just looked at them and said "if that is the path God wants for me then no matter what I choose I will not be able to walk. He gave me this baby for a reason and I am going to have her." I swear they were not happy with my decision. I admit that is a very scary thing to hear too. I was going to stick by choice no matter what. Thank God my husband was behind my choice as well. I mean he could have been looking at being a father and spouse of a newly handicapped woman all within the same few months and purely because I chose not to terminate our child. What a strong man I have.
So because I had made a promise years past I knew my daughter would be named Aimee, after a truly strong woman whom I admire. She raised 5 children through the depression while her husband was gone 90% of the time just to make money for them. She still clung to her faith through all the sadness. Her husband left this world much earlier than she did but that still did not stop her. Once her children had left the house and started their own families she started her own life only to give it up again when her daughter was alone in a time when women were not abandoned with children but she was. Great grandma Amy just picked up and moved in to help in any way she could till my Aunt Amy was taken care of by another wonderful man this time. She still helped out her family when ever she could. She never missed mass. She traveled with her ladies group. She did not sit and become an old lady. She enjoyed life. She is my daughter's personal guardian angel. How lucky I am to have met her before she started guarding my girl.
For my baby's middle name, I am luck that my husband did not disagree, I chose "Bradleigh". It's pretty huh? My grandfather is great grandma Amy's second son, so to honor him I took his last name and girlied it up a bit. I kind of got to honor both my great grandma and my grandfather with this one. My great grandmother always called her husband "Bradley" too. My mom even went back to her maiden name, so there is another Bradley. There is family love all over her name!
I always get teary when I think about how my Aimee got her name. I think it is a great story. I hope it is one she can tell her own kids one day with pride. Oh and by the way, I don't have a wheelchair. I walk just fine. I have had 4 children now and yes my back is always hurting but so what?! I know that I am alive that way right? I will take the pain everyday knowing what I have gotten in return, beautiful children.
I love you Aimee.

I love you too Great Grandma and Pop.
























2 comments:
Happy Birthday, Precious Girl!
Love.
Mom
I love your blog! I just gave you the Kreativ Blogger Award, come on over to my blog to pick it up!:)
Post a Comment