
This is my son every morning.
I have been trying the schools way of fixing this.
We have done testing for learning issues, that they have discovered I was right about 3 years ago, and have said that they were going to help him and make it all better. He is supposed to have RSP 4 days a week for at least 1 hour. The "math-onator" is supposed to help him catch up and then help him with his language skills that he is behind on.
It is not happening.
He goes to RSP only 2 days a week for 45 minutes.
Um...is that a budget cut?
I have been so upset by this you have no idea.
They are hurting him so badly, it kills me.
He was tested, by them, that he is depressed in his academic life because of his failings.
He is 10!
He has no reason to be depressed!
He is 10!!!
So they were supposed to cut his homework because he was spending 7 hours on it at home after spending 7 hours at school.
Can you spell "bad teaching"?
He has his math cut in half of what the other kids get and is only supposed to do 1 1/2 hours of homework a night.
They are giving him slips (class embarrassment because you have to get up and get this slip in front of everyone and no recess) for the work he does not finish at home.
How is that helping his self esteem?
How is this being helpful to him?
Because 2 days of RSP are so amazing??

Right now I am on the same page with him.
I just hate saying that because I was going to be a teacher.
As of right now though, 3 teachers and a district have failed my son.
My eldest daughter has had some really crappy teachers and had years of learning absolutely nothing herself. Becca has been lucky so far, but what about Belle?
I had truly wanted to be a teacher.
I loved kids.
All kiddos.
I even loved helping the disabled children.
Shoot, my mother was a learning specialist and I grew up spending time with them some days helping them out too.
I wanted to teach children, not babysit them.
The more I am there and hear stories from other parents, this is what our district is. If you can't keep up, well then too bad. Unless you are a bad kid then we have to deal with you. If you are a good and quiet kid then here is the rug, let us sweep you under it and you can choose if you would rather go to jail when you are older or work at a fast food restaurant. That is all we will prepare you for.

I am really sad.
I cry when I drop him off some days because I know how much he hates it there.
It is the law to go so he does.
I am getting curriculum together though to hopefully pull him out early.
Next year he will be homeschooled though no matter what.
I will not let them keep this up just so that they can have another $39 dollars a day.
He is not a dust bunny.
He is an amazing, intelligent, loud, gaming, funny, music loving, interesting, goofy little boy. He deserves to be treated as the wonderful child he is not as a booty to fill an empty seat.

























No comments:
Post a Comment