Wednesday, July 30, 2008

be prepared

After yesterday's shaker it just reaffirmed to me that you never know when a disaster can hit. My family is very lucky that it was only a 5 quake. We really did not have any problems except for scaring the heck out of my munchkins. All the talks that we had about what to do if there is ever a big quake never made as big of a point as yesterday. We went over again all the things that we should do in the case of a bad earthquake. I went over all the things that we have in case our house falls or something. I even pulled up some emergency kits on the internet to show them that I have already started preparing for the "just in case" moments. I have food, first aid, candles, flashlights with batteries on the side, dog food, trash bags, masks and blankets. I have a bit of water, but not enough for a family of 6 in a heat wave, for a week. I took this as the perfect opportunity to remedy this situation before the prices go up due to the recent quake. I bought an emergency water barrel for the back yard. It is 55 gallons and I will probably need another one as well for our family. I bought all the attachments too. I have been telling myself to get one for a while now. Better to be safe than sorry right? I even bought one that has been recycled. You know I had to get some green thing in there to feel good about my purchase.
Sooooo anyway all I have left to purchase for my perfect emergency kit is a generator. Then I am done. Now how do I make sure that my family is all at home if there is a natural disaster? What if I do all of this and they are all at school and work? My luck that is what would happen. I still feel better that I COULD take care of my family in an emergency though. That is the most important thing, right?

3 comments:

ONNO said...

There is nothing like being prepared when your family is at stake. An earthquake reminds us all we are human.

Dagny
www.onnotextiles.com
bamboo and organic clothing

Grandma said...

Generator? Shooo! Remember that hamster we had, with the wheel that went night and day? Betcha thought it was just a pet! Naw--I'm still working on a way to harness hamster energy to produce electricity!So far, generator seems the best bet.

Unknown said...

And for things like emergencies... there's always a International Air Ambulance Servicejust for you.

All you have to do is call.