I know it is gross, but have you ever thought about your green waste container at home?
One of my friends and I were talking about just that the other day. She and I are always talking about ways that we can save the planet. She was commenting on how much food trash goes into the trash receptacles and it kills her. Oh my gosh! I don't throw out any of that I told her. It is green waste! Did you know that? I really don't think that a lot of people think about that. You have your green waste that you throw all your grass clippings into, right? It does say green and that means your nature made trash that can be recycled.
Yup, all the onion skins, carrot scrapings, apple cores and lettuce that got forgotten in the veggie drawer can go into the green waste receptacle and be reused as compost. I called and checked with my city that it was okay to do that. They acted like I should have known that since birth. So yes it is okay to put kitchen scraps into your green waste receptacle, that is what it is for. You will cut down on the trash in the dumps and be helping the environment at the same time. Cool huh?
























1 comment:
Good morning!
I hear the community gardeners out there today, chopping up green growth and blowing it back into the lawn for mulch.
Guess what! My community recycles all the green garden stuff into part of our landscaping, but not the apple cores, etc. We have two big garden centers where we can "rent" a patch of ground to garden our own things. I'll call them and see if they have compost piles they would like to offer for community "apple core/onion skin" waste. Some of our local smarties are drawing up plans to offer the board so we can have solar electricity in our community wash rooms! I've cut my electricity summer bill from about $85 a month to half, with the new light bulbs and careful management of lights.
Consider that it's an all electric community and isn't that a big accomplishment?
Let's hear it for green!
Post a Comment