Wednesday, July 16, 2008

green bathroom

My bathroom is filled with all sorts of bottles of lotions and potions to try and keep some kind of youthful glow to my skin. After having 4 munchkins my midsection and thighs get their own set of Spackle and bondo to boot. We are talking the bathroom cabinets are bursting at the seams with toilet paper and" save my youth" bottles of potions. I started thinking about all the trash that I am making just trying to preserve my skin. It isn't working anyway. I am still getting older everyday. Yes my skin is soft but at what cost? Is it right for me to try and look younger when I am clearly not. I mean really, do I want to look 20 with a 13 year old daughter? Not! What am I teaching her by doing this to? Lord help me.

I want to embrace my body and not need all of this fake beauty stuff. I want to show my daughters that beauty really does come from your soul not from a bottle, you can't slather it on. I also want to do my share to save the planet and stop adding to the trash piles buying creams that only help a little. So after taking all my concerns and wants to my computer and the library I started looking at healthier ways to care for my skin and body.

I found out that the healthy foods that I eat and serve is the best base I can start with. I serve water, not to my family's happiness, a lot. That is supposed to be wonderful to. Yup 8 glasses a day at least is a good start. Then a good cleanser (that is one bottle), a really goood sun screen ( that would be bottle #2) and then maybe a bottle of moisturiser for night (and the final bottle #3). Then you need a bottle of shampoo, there are some that are more earth friendly without all of the chemicals that then get washed down the drain. I need a bottle of conditioner as well with the same earth friendly outlook. Then I must have mascara, eye liner, chapstick and bronzer. If I don't have these items I look like a ghost. I kid you not. I have day glow white skin and I live in a sunny state. Not a good combination. My skin does not play well with the sun. The sun kicks her but and leaves HUGE red marks where ever she can! Not very nice.

Any way back to the bottles, this runs a total to me of 9 containers of skin products that I need. Yes 4 of them are purely vanity bottles, but I need them. I actually have about 9 times that many bottles under my bathroom sink and in the linen closet! I am supposed to be the green girl. What the heck am I doing? That is it. No more. I am done buying all the extra products. I will still buy the more expensive but better for the earth hair products though. With all the money that I am gonna save not buying the other potions it won't be that bad either. It could actually be cheaper!

Okay Mother Earth, I am gonna try the green beauty for you. Please Ugly Old Lady Fairy stay far, far, FAR AWAY from me though! If you are gonna beat me with your Old Stick then hit my husband's eyes first so he can't see all the wrinkles and crinkles that come with life experience. Yeah that's it...I am not getting old, I am getting more EXPERIENCED! Right on! Oh wait, now I sound like a hoochie mamma.

Oh well, hoochie mamma it is!

No comments: