Monday, July 7, 2008

Wall-E

It was drive in movie night for us. We took the munchkins to see the movie Wall-E. I had thought that it was going to be just a kid friendly robot movie. You know robot alone, robot find friend, robot then finds lots of friends, the end. I was wrong. This is actually kind of a green movie. Who would have thought.

The movie showed how we are damaging our earth with trash and that if you keep living the life of convenient fast food what you can look like. Okay, I know I have over generalized the movie but if you were gonna take your munchkin I don't want to ruin it for you.

My kids got all the little "this is what our earth could look like" points the movie through out there. It could be because I tell them this stuff everyday and now they had a visual of what I was talking about. Piles of trash that I talk about I am sure they think of when the recyclables can overflows and I have to wait till the recycling guys come and empty it so I can put the rest in the can. In this movie it does show enormous amounts of trash and that was something that I could not show them. That to me was a good point.

I also harp on "go outside and move your bodies!" We have a rule in our house that you have to go outside and play everyday for a few hours at least. We live in a sunny state so that is possible on most days. They ride their bikes, play on their trampoline, jump rope, play soccer all sorts of stuff that kids around our neighborhood don't do very much. They all play video games and watch television. Hey that stuff can be good in moderation, but we rarely see kids outside as much as my munchkins. This movie showed how bad you could end up if you do quit moving your body and continue to eat....unhealthily.

So even though I generally prefer movies that are jam packed with action, I did think that the basic message behind Wall-E was good. Since my kids enjoyed it also I will probably pick it up at the store and let them see it again and again maybe instilling in them the importance of saving the earth and living healthy.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

I am so glad all of you got to see Wall-E ! Isn't it a great way to encourage taking care of the world, and of ourselves? I enjoyed it too!