Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Construction Costs

Have you seen the price of cement?
Goodness it is high. We are talking like $150 and up per yard.We are going to need at least 15 yards to start our addition. Did you do the math really quickly in your head? Yeah that is one big ouch payment huh? That also does not include pumper or the finish guy. We do need a bigger house. I keep telling myself that.
This is only the beginning too. We will still need cement for the patio and that will be another truck. Whoo Hoo. That will be another chunker there.
The craziness of construction has begun here. getting online at 5 in the morning trying to find the best price from a reputable company, cleaning the perpetual dirt that is tracked in on munchkin feet, being bummed because some construction people are not following through with what they said they would, the price of gas is climbing so that means everything we are purchasing is climbing to, the list goes on and on. I am trying to be as enviormentally conscious as I can be with our purchases also and let me tell you that is really hard.
But this is all for the greater good. We will have more space and it will be easier to have multiple people over to have happy memories with. Buying another home right now would still be more expensive and we would be gambling on the fact the neighborhood would be decent. Just because they are bigger homes does not mean they are better people. We could also end up in a ghost town community. I would hate having tons of empty homes on my street. There are enough of them around here. I know where all the "bad people" houses are in my neighborhood too. What if we picked a home right next to bigots, drug dealers or Party House Central?!? No thank you. The irritations of home construction look better and better all the time.
I think.

No comments: