Friday, July 11, 2008

Moving along


With our addition coming along I have been spending time looking for "greener" choices for materials that we are using. You would think it would be an easy thing to find. It is not. When I can find them the prices are over the top!

Some things we just can't go any greener on. Like the cement. To build a wall you start with the cement base and go up from there with wood, dryIwall and insulation. I know that straw and mud will work if you make them thick enough they are great insulators and make strong walls. Look at the adobe buildings in New Mexico. Sturdy. Here in my city, that is not gonna fly. It was hard enough getting the initial permits! We are talking serious fighting with current city planning codes. We are not building anything gross and huge, just adding on to the exsisting structures, following the style it was built with. This city is not ready for that kind of green structure.
The wood for the forms we are going to try and reuse for other projects. Then the ones that are not useable for building a home I think I will have my kids make some intersting flower boxes or bird houses or something. I just can't toss them. They cost alot of money aside from the green outlook. I hate being wasteful.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Wow! It's happening! What a grand idea, to use the wood from the forms for flower boxes or bird houses! Good on you!!