Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Delany Clause

Okay we all know that I am trying to find out more about the dyes that are put into our food. I swear the more that I find out the less I want to eat any packaged foods.Yuck!

So here is something that I learned today. There is this thing called the Delaney Clause of the 1960 color additive amendment. Under that clause, FDA cannot approve color additives shown to induce cancer in humans or animals in any amount. That being said, how come FD&C Red No. 3 is still around coloring our cherries in fruit salad, vitimins and bubble gum? In 1982 they did a study that showed that Red No. 3 causes thyroid cancer in male rats. Umm doesn't that mean that they shouldn't put it in our food any more? According to what I just read, the people in charge of banning colors, does not feel that there are not enough people at risk to pull the dye off the shelves. Okay this current blog entry I'm doing is only off one really big report that I just read, about why they don't get rid of Red No. 3. I have read others but this one just really bugged me. So to be fair, I will still be reading up on this and share the info I find.

No comments: