Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Back when I was a kid, my father was not around.
Whatever.
I was truely lucky to have the most amazing Papa though. He made himself more than a grandpa without trying to replace my dad. He filled my heart where it could have been black. He did me such a wonderful service of showing me that men are worthy. They are upstanding, God loving, hardworking, and honest. He set the bar so high for any man to be good enough for me that they would have to be just as incredible as he was.
That was a gift.
Father's Day to me was Papa's day.
A day to thank him for loving me as much as he did. A day to thank him for seeing the good in me and making me feel special, not a disposable child, like my dad did. A day to let him know that he was so important to me just by being there.
Papa died just after Michael Jr was born.
I was more than crushed.
Still am.
I am comforted though that before he died he had put me on the path to my husband. I had found a man much like my beloved Papa. He is good in all the wonderful ways that my Papa was incredible. My husband is the most amazing man alive. I can honestly say that.
Today, on Father's Day I am thanking God the Father for blessing me with my Papa for my youth and Michael for my ever after. May he bless my children with amazing partners like my Papa and Michael

1 comment:

Grandma said...

O.K. Now I'm teary eyed. Thank you for such beautiful thoughts about Papa. As he's peeking through the windows of Heaven I know he is smiling on you and all your family. He is possibly still working in God's avocado grove, and stops to listen to your message. He will look down from there with a few happy tears of his own as he sees your words.

I miss him too.
Love,
Mom