Our market is certified organic too, which makes me feel even better about feeding this stuff to my little munchkins. That means they showed the coordinator of the market, that they have a piece of paper that proves that the government has come and checked them out and they are growing things the way God intended. Cool huh?So I pick up (gasp) around $30 worth of produce every week. Their prices are a little higher than a regular farmer's market but that is because they are organic and they have stricter regulations as to how to grow their product. I have my favorite farmer's that I buy from every week. I love to know that these are the actual people that I am buying from. They tell me how their season has been and what they are growing next. If they have a ton of something then they will offer to give me a few more. I think they feel bad for me because I have kids that I can't fill up no matter how much I spend on food! :)
I also feel that these markets are really better because the food is all locally grown. Do you realize just how important that is to our society? Just in transportation we can cut down on fuel cost and its repercussions on the planet. Why should I buy a orange from another country when they grow them in my own state? I only pay more money for the fact that I choose to buy organic. Regular farmer's markets have regular local farmers and their prices are cheaper because you do not pay for the transportation and the resale of the produce. Hello!
Fresher fruits and veggies taste better too. The farmer's markets usually have food that was picked that day or the day before. Huge difference in taste! Do the taste test. You can not deny the truth of your own tongue. My kids are so spoiled now with good fruits and veggies that we went out to eat last night and we ordered a small fruit bowl for the baby and no one thought there was any flavor in the fruit. Not even the baby. The fruit was perfectly good. It looked beautiful, just lacked on flavor. I hate to say it, but I didn't make them eat it.
I buy a half flat of organic strawberries for about $9 when they are available and they will only be around maybe a day or two. If I buy even a small container at the grocery store the kids will pick at them and I will still have them 4-5 days later. Go figure.Please support local farmer's markets.
It will help the farmer, the planet and your health.
It is worth it.

























2 comments:
I'm sold. Now I buy only organic fruits and veggies too. The strawberry picture reminded me that I have a basket in the friege! Oh-goodie! Off I go to get some! Now, if the kids were here those berries would be long gone, right?
They would have smelled them in the fridge and used their munchkin super powers to inhale them without you even knowing they had done it. They do it to me ALL THE TIME!!
Post a Comment